Wednesday, September 4, 2013

first 1/2 marathon - I'm coming!

My dad and I have always had a deep love for running. It's actually one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of my dad. I remember doing races with him in even back in elementary and middle school, a couple 5k's here and there. In high school we took a break as I focused more on running with my teams and the break just continued as I left for college. Almost a decade later, dad and I are finally running together again. I really missed it. Last year he got me into 10k's, then 15k's and I knew it was only a matter of time until the 13.1 came up in conversation.

Last week I got a text, "I'm doing a 1/2 marathon December 29th and I'm signing you up." No, questions asked. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had actually signed me up a month ago and forgot to tell me until then, haha. At least he gave me a 12 weeks notice, that generous of him! I'm serious. So I said yes, found a 12 week program and for the next 3 months plan to train for my first 1/2 marathon happening just after Christmas! I'm about 10 days in and just required to log 3-4 miles per day (5x a week). It's not so bad...but talk to me in a couple weeks when I'm supposed to do 5-7 a day.

I actually went to TJ-Maxx after the first day of training and bought a couple new running tops to keep me motivated. Feeling comfortable and looking semi-cute is worth it when you are about to die on mile 6. I'm excited for this journey, it feels good to have a goal to work towards again!

No comments:

Post a Comment