Friday, March 4, 2011

Self-Control.

So I've made it! 24 hours facebookless! Victory dance goin up in here. To be honest, it has been GREAT! I came home from class and actually hung out with my husband rather than mindlessly jumping on my laptop and scrolling through the newsfeed to catch up on what I might have missed in the past hour. Pathetic, I know. But I just couldn't help it. Paul says that I'm a "social whore" I'm not sure if I should be offended by that? lol. But basically he is right, I like to be "in the know", all the time, with everything! Basically, I'm a "social junkie" I like that description better than a "social whore" :)

I'll have to admit though, I was expecting a little more praise from Paul after the BIG announcement was made about my Facebook cleanse. His response, "I give you two weeks." Where's the love husband?!? I was expecting something like, "wow, that's great, I'm so glad you are doing that!" or, "good for you!" But no.

This sparked a conversation between us about self-control. Paul claimed that I just did not have enough self-control, I refuted that statement. "I do have self-control, just not with Facebook." In my defense, I brought the subject of alcohol into the equation. Alcohol in general is not bad, but it can be bad for specific people who abuse it, rely on it, or can't practice self-control when around it. boom. Same thing with Facebook, Facebook in itself is not bad, however for me personally I got to the point where I was abusing it, relying on it, and definitely could not practice self-control when around it. With that said, my first 24 hours facebookless has been surprisingly freeing. Hope you guy have a great weekend :) Blessings!

4 comments:

  1. You can do it Kelley! As a Facebookless mom for 2 months now I can give you hope! You will grow closer to God and He will change your heart. The desire will leave. It's the most awesome God moment. ♥ I'm proud of you! You are exactly right though, Facebook in of itself is not bad. It's just a media of communication. It's our hearts that need to change. I don't know if I will ever get back on Facebook with a personal account, but I already feel at peace with the fact that I don't have a NEED for it anymore. You will get there! I will keep you accountable and Paul should be too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go on a facebook fast every few months and it is seriously refreshing! you stop missing it after a while...

    ReplyDelete